The projects developed in WinDev, WebDev or WinDev Mobile can be multilingual projects. In this case, all the messages found in the project (windows, pages, reports or controls) must be translated into the different languages.
A project can translated according to several methods:
- The different elements found in your project can be translated one by one. This translation is performed in the "Details" tab of the description window of the created elements.
This translation can be easily performed via the "Translate" button.The "Translate" button is used to translate a selected input area according to the preferences defined in the options of the product used ("Tools .. Options .. General options of WinDev/WebDev/WinDev Mobile").The "Translate" button is used to translate a selected input area according to the preferences defined in the options of the product used. Reminder: To define the requested options, on the "首页" pane, in the "环境" group, expand "选项" and select "General options of WinDev/WebDev/WinDev Mobile".This solution is suitable for small-size applications only, and it can quickly become cumbersome.
- You can use WDMSG. This tool is used to check out all the messages found in your project. Once translated, these messages can be checked in by WDMSG.
WDMSG is an optional tool of WinDev, WebDev or WinDev Mobile. If you do not own WDMSG, contact PC SOFT sales or visit the www.windev.com site.
The check-out creates an "Extraction file" containing all the messages, captions of controls, ... This file can be:
- a text file,
- a HFSQL data file,
- a WDMSG file (recommended format, proposed by default).
If the extraction file is a HFSQL data file or a WDMSG file, the different elements of this file will have to be translated by WDTRAD. WDTRAD is a powerful translation tool based on the use of a dictionary.
If you already own a dictionary issued from a translation software (also called "Translation memory"), this dictionary can be used with WDTRAD. This allows you to take advantage of all the features of WDTRAD.
If the extraction file is a text file, the different elements of this file can be:
- translated directly or by a translation tool.
- checked by a spelling checker.
- modified to standardize the messages, the captions, ...
When translating or correcting the messages found in the extraction file, the format of this file (specific to WDMSG) must not be modified. Any modification made to the format of this file would prevent the messages and the elements from being checked in into the project.
WDMSG can also be used to:
- check out the messages added or modified since the last check-out. This feature enables you to translate the entire project. These messages can be translated and checked in into your project.
- compare the project messages between two languages. This feature is used to find out whether translation errors occurred (text not translated or missing translations for example). The different problems can be fixed and the modified messages can be checked in into your project.
See Using WDMSG for more details.